Skid-Steer Module 1
Introduction to Skid-Steer
The skid-steer is a very unique machine: the wheels have no steering mechanism. Since the left side wheels can be driven independently from the right side wheels, differences in wheel speed will steer the machine as required. Due to this feature, the skid-steer is capable of 360° (zero-radius) turning which makes them extremely maneuverable and indispensable on compact job sites.
Students will be introduced to the skid-steer with the objective of safe solo operation on the final day. They will learn to identify the main components of the equipment, proper maintenance requirements, and basic transportation/operations. This course focuses on repetitive motions in order to achieve proficiency through muscle memory. Each student will have one-on-one training to ensure proper safety methods and learning effectiveness.
The Introduction to Skid-Steer module has a 3 day (21 hour) duration made up of the following classes:
- SS1 Worksite Safety Awareness 3 hours Comprehensive
- SK1 Skid-Steer Safety Awareness 1 hour Comprehensive
- AA1 Skid-Steer Maintenance & Basic Controls 3 hours Practical
- AA2 Skid-Steer Bucket Control 7 hours Practical
- AA3 Skid-Steer Solo Operation 7 hours Practical